Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sonnet 130

Some Englishman says,

“An aesthetic experience is one in which your senses are operating at their peak. When you’re present in the current moment. When you’re resonating with the excitement of this thing you’re experiencing. When you are fully alive. Anasthetic is when you shut your senses off. And deaden yourself to what’s happening.” School should be about waking kids up. Waking their senses. Teaching them to be fully present. Alive. Operating at their peak. Pursuing their passions.
Sonnet 130 by William Shakespeare, more commonly known as Will Shake (*ok I made this up.)

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.


Summary of the poem: My lover not extraordinarily pretty pun, but I still love her loh. (haha)

You know what one of the big failure of school education? They killed your appreciation for the arts.

Tell me how are you going to like any English poetry again when for one whole year you had been reading the same 3 poems and doing the same questions? I can still even remember the celaka questions.

1. What does "eye of the heaven" refer to? (Sonnet 18)
B. The Summer's Sun.

2. What does "veils of the morning" refer to? (Lake Isle of Innisfree)
C. Mist (the most sickening question! Same question from form 1 to form 3!)


I don't often take delight in the flowery words of literature, but I'm happy now I can just read and be. No more idiotic exam questions.



No comments: