Friday, June 17, 2011

Civic Participation (with lab) 101

So I received an e-mail this morning with a link that brought me to the following page:



Apparently the UN Human Rights Council (of which Malaysia is a member state) is going to vote on "an historic resolution to protect LGBT (i.e. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered) rights. What the page says was:

"It's down to the wire, and many nations are undecided. It's critical that the foreign office in your country hears from you right now.

The vote is THIS FRIDAY JUNE 17. Please contact your ministry of foreign affairs, and ask them to Vote YES.

Thank you for taking action! "

So I did a little bit of research information gathering on the internet and decided that it is worth to make a phone call to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I didn't take much effort on me to find the contact details because everything was on the website above, including what I was supposed to say, lol.

So I made the phone call in the morning.

Officer : Selamat Pagiiiii........

Me : erm....I'm calling to enquire about a resolution that will be voted on this week by the United Nations Human Rights Council.

Officer : mm hmm? (encouraging)

Me : So I read from the internet....(read from script) that the United Nations Human Rights Council will vote on a resolution concerning human rights violations based on sexual orientation and gender identity this week. Erm.....can I know how Malaysia is going to vote?

Officer : erm. A moment please.

(call got redirected)

Officer2 : Selamat Pagiii......

Me : Erm.......sorry, can I speak in English?

Officer2 : Yes!

Me : (thank goodness.) Erm, I have some questions regarding a resolution that will be voted on this week at erm....the United Nations Human Rights Council.

Officer2 : okay. (anticipating my question)

Me : (read from script again, lol) This Friday at the United Nations Human Rights Council Malaysia will vote on a resolution concerning human rights violations based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Can I know how Malaysia is going to vote?

Officer2 : Well, erm, I'm just a receptionist. (Me: CB) You can try calling the International Law Division. 03-8887 4001

Me : Ok, thank you.

---------------------------
Me : (call, but nobody picked up the phone.)

(Call a few times, then sien liao, gave up.)

Hope Malaysia will vote Yes, or at least abstain from voting. Please don't vote No. Mempersiasuikan diri sendiri seriously. I think voting No is analogous to voting No on a resolution that calls for an end of slavery in 19th century.

If you read the website, it suggests me to somewhat persuade or make a point to the Ministry to abstain from voting in the case that Malaysia is going to vote No.

I understand a single citizen's voice won't change the country's stance, but IF the person on the other end of the phone actually tell me Malaysia is going to vote No, how am I going to persuade him/her that Malaysia should abstain from voting? Imagine:

Officer3: Sir, Malaysia is going to vote against the resolution.

Me : yor....jangan lah ..... jangan lah.....jangan macam ni lah......

*palm on face*

According to the script, this is what I should say:

No human being should face violence, torture, stigmatization and abuse, on any grounds. Please don’t block this important measure based on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Will you abstain from voting?"

Officer3: yor...I'm not the person who make the decision okay.....Who are you?

Me : I'm a Malaysian citizen!

*LOL*

-------------------------------------
“革命不是请客吃饭。” -- 毛泽东

I dislike 毛泽东 by the way.

“革命尚未成功,同志仍须努力。” -- 孙中山

Yeah I like the tone of this one.

-------------------------------------
Update:
The resolution is passed with 23 countries voted in favour, 19 opposed, 3 abstained.



No comments: