Friday, September 30, 2011

Macam Macam

I generally feel uncomfortable talking about people. I can't stand the cynical undertone which usually perfuse the entire conversation.

So there's this Singaporean friend. Nice person. Easy to communicate since, you know, he's Singaporean I'm Malaysian. Totally understand my lah's and ma's. (But you know la, each person is different, and sometimes their difference just happens to irk me. Please don't judge him by this post ok.)

So we share this mutual friend (Steven), or rather acquaintance, whom I personally find comfortable to be with, though socially awkward at times. That said, I'm not a social butterfly in the first place.

So whenever I brought up this topic about this mutual friend (international student), the Singaporean will comment on how weird he is. And I'd be like, "no...he's such a nice person". I mean, c'mon, is it really weird to follow a friend back to his dorm after having dinner together while engaging in a conversation?

Singaporean: But is it normal....to follow people back to their dorm...

Me: I would have done the same if I were in that situation. I mean, like now, we're talking, so it's natural to just follow you la, even if my room is at another side of the campus. (i'm stuyding at a small college. Every place is within 10-minute walking distance.)

Singaporean:(ok whatever)

Dropped the topic.

-------------------------------
Another American "weird guy" -- Collin

Singaporean: I know he's very smart, but he's weird.

Me: (enthusiastically) But he's so smart!!! (I took the same math class with Collin)

Another Malaysian girl: And he sang everything in the class. Like everything!(course: Music in TV)

Me: But I like his voice. (heard him singing theme song of Pokemon before, lol)

Singaporean: He shouldn't be here. A person smart like him should be in MIT. The reason he wasn't accepted was because he didn't do his homework and so his grades suffered.

Me: (suddenly tulan the Singaporean) Why MIT?

Singaporean: Because he applied there?

Me: Yeah. He also applied to Yale and so many other schools. Why should he be in MIT?!

Singaporean: Ok fine. MIT or Yale or anywhere.

Me: (resist the urge to roll eyes.)

That said, MIT does have a healthy reputation of being nerdy. But nerd is great.


----------------------------
And yesterday, Steven, Collin and I just walked around the campus while sembang-ing! It all started with Steven asking Collin, "so...what do you want to do? Do you want to come to my dorm?" LOL.

Don't know what the Singaporean would think if he knew.

----------------------------
Conclusion: I worship smart people. == It just became clear.

Still remember the observation made by my cousin-in-law:

Cousin-in-law: 我发现DeluSion他很渴望从人家身上吸取知识。一旦你告诉他一些他不知道的东西,他就会一直缠住你,你就可以掌握他的注意力,然后......控制住他!!!

Cousin-in-law's wife, i.e. Cousin: ==

No comments: