Friday, April 30, 2010

On My Second Crush

I have problems in comprehending 'love', the way the word is used as a verb.

As in 'I love you.'

I don't understand why 'love' is used as a transitive verb, as in Subject + Verb + Object, e.g. Lily eats rice; in contrast with intransitive verbs, which have the general sentence structure of Subject + Verb, e.g. I sleep.

I feel that when an object of affection is followed by 'love', it implies that love, as the subject's "action", is having an effect on the object. This clearly is untrue, as in the case of unreciprocated affection.

Maybe I'm mixing up state verbs with action verbs. State verbs, are, well, verbs that describe a state.
Emotion : I hate that dog!
Possession: I have a penis.
Senses : I hear birds chirping.
Thought : She believed everything he told her.

But I'm not talking about "I love pizza" or "Children love to play". When used like that I can easily understand the meaning of the sentence. However, I'm writing about the intense affection or deep tender feelings the subject has for the object. If we consider the causal connection between the object and the subject's feelings, I think we may safely conclude it is the object which "causes" love to grow in the subject.

I'm guessing that the reason I find "I love you" 'weird' is that it doesn't account for the intrapersonal dimension of love - the hormonal changes! the shortness of breath! the temporary malfunctioning of cerebral cortex! The cause of such excitement (if I may say so) is not explicitly addressed if we express love by saying "I love you".

To me, "I love you" is the utterance of one's love, but I fancy a more "rational" expression that addresses the cause of love -- 'You made me love'. The former conveys to the object that the subject has some sort of affection for them, but the latter asserts more. It addresses the reason of the subject's tender feelings, reason being the object, and conveys such feelings without the anticipation for the object's reply which is usually associated with "I love you". The meaning is complete.

You made me love.

No comments: